Friday, September 27, 2013

Managing Financial Risk after Graduation

The risk of financial security, being independent, and being able to provide a living for oneself is definitely an area of great importance for many college students. As an economics major, I am still faced with the constant pressures of handling this type of future graduation risk because of the way that I’ve seen my friends deal with the current job market right now. Many of my friends that have graduated have managed this risk quite well and are doing very well for themselves financial. In addition, I have also seen some of my friends unable to find a job after they have graduated because of the dynamics of the labor market in their particular field of study. Personal experience has taught me that I need to develop the skills in order to make myself marketable in the labor force. For these reasons, I’ve taken the necessary actions in order to minimize the risk of financial security such as being smart with my money and actively seeking the work experience that I need to find a job after graduation. This is something that I value greatly because I am currently in debt with my student loans and I know that I have to be responsible for this money by being able to provide an income for myself.

I am currently unemployed so being frugal with my money has always been a topic of great concern. I track my personal finances every day and make sure that I do not spend excess amounts of money on things that I don’t need. Furthermore, I would consider myself to be a fairly competent shopper. Essentially, I don’t spend any money where I don’t need to. One example of how I am frugal with my money is the fact that I rarely eat out. I typically buy my groceries in bulk and look for specials.


I have been developing my marketability in the labor market by working this past summer. I was involved in a start-up company. This experience gave me a tremendous amount of insight on the daily operations of a business. I believe that working and gaining necessary work experience is very important to managing financial security after I graduate. I have personal seen my neighbor go through the college experience and be unable to find a job once he graduated. This was primarily due to his lack of work experience. Even though he had a degree, many companies are unwilling to hire people if they do not have any prior work experience. My friend essentially had to work as an intern without pay before he was able to find a position with a salary. This experience has taught me to actively seek either employment or an internship before I graduate college. This way I will have the necessary work experience prior to graduating and will make job finding a lot smoother. 

1 comment:

  1. It was good that you talked about your experience as a consumer. Being able to live on a modest income is certainly a way to self-insure against income risk. In the middle of the last decade, when the average saving rate for the entire economy was negative, it meant that many of the population were quite exposed to income risk and it explains why the recession was so sever. If you can maintain a modest spending profile even after you land a decent job, then you can accumulate savings in way that will help you buffer future income shocks.

    The job market has been tough on a recent college grads. Getting a toehold can be very hopeful. I hope your prior experience with the startup does that for you.

    ReplyDelete