Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Reputation in my Family

One environment where I developed a personal reputation is with my family at home. I feel strongly pressured to develop a certain persona based off of my reputation at home. In particular, I have to uphold a very responsible reputation in regards to my parents and I have to assume a loving brotherly type of reputation when I am around my younger sisters. I would typically say that my reputation with my family is very respectable. I try to appease my parents by being the right type of role model for my little sisters.  
I have developed my reputation through my years of experience with my family members. My family members, especially my parents have steadily learned to trust me and to let me assume more responsibilities. In particular, I felt as if my parents were a big motivator in my life. They would help me set specific goals and help me set out to achieve them. These goals might include academic goals or career development goals such as getting a job. As I learned to meet these goals, I have developed a reputation of being reliable and a responsible person to my parents.

Furthermore, my reputation amongst my little sisters is hopefully one that they can be proud of. I personally want to be the role model that my little sisters can look up to and strive to be. On a personal level, I have worked especially hard in developing my reputation as a person that does the right thing, although this can be difficult at times. Whenever I am around my sisters I try to stress to them that being a good person is such an extremely important goal to strive for in life. I know that my parents will push my little sisters to become successful academically, so I try to push them in other areas such as being involved in the community and taking on extracurricular activities in school.

In addition to assuming moral responsibilities, I have worked hard to become a role model for my sisters through my achievements. I have accomplished this by doing well academically in school and starting to become financially responsible for myself. My current goals involve graduating from the University of Illinois with a high GPA and to immediately start working after college. Hopefully, by accomplishing my current goals, I will build on my reputation of being a role model for my little sisters. I want to eventually become a mentor for them for whatever life goals they are set to accomplish by sharing with them my personal experiences on various subject matters.


What I have described so far is for the most part accurate, but there are many instances where my reputation amongst my family members have deteriorated because of my actions. It is very difficult to maintain a good image for my parents and more importantly my little sisters at sometimes, particularly at my age. I feel like I am at the age in which many people participate in activities that would be inappropriate in the eyes of my parents or for my little sisters to see. One example is going to social events with my friends. Although I am 22 years old, and can legally drink I still think that there are many negative connotations associated with participating in such an activity. There have been many instances where my parents have seen me drinking. Although they don’t necessary care, they always tell me to be responsible with my actions. For these reasons, I try to keep my social activities away from my parents and my little sisters especially. In particular, there have been instances where I choose to go out with friends rather than stay at home and participate in more family activities. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree that being a role model for younger siblings is important, and that to do that you might have to hide some things sometimes. No one is perfect, and indulging in activities that might be appropriate for you at the time but not for your sisters is a natural part of being older than them.

    ReplyDelete